A fellow classmate stated it quite simply in their blog post about collaboration: "do I have to share??" I could not agree more. I commented by describing the kind of work to which environment I belong. I have been working for my company (a textbook publisher) for almost about 5.5 years. When I started, we were closely aligned (in business-terms) with our Editorial group, who supplies the production department with manuscript to turn into books. Soon after I was hired, the production arm was pulled away from the Editorial team and we became very "silo-ed". We were Production and there was everyone else. Our goals were different and our lines of management was different from anyone else in the company. This proved detrimental to how we worked with each other within production and how we worked with everyone else in the company. It even pitted us against our other production department locations around the country. We took pride in the fact that our books that we worked on were so different from everyone else and we hoarded our information and barely shared with each other within our own group, let alone with anyone else. Since then, our executive management have tried their best to dictate how to be collaborative, but creating a "TWiki" site, which no one used, and later Inside (via Microsoft Intranet), which people are reluctant to use but has since endured. We're still so reluctant to share what we know with everyone else. We're so worried about letting go of OUR information that we lose sight of the benefits to collaboration with other people. We fail to recognize how we might make our jobs easier knowing what other people are doing, who do our same exact job.
We recently acquired an online learning solutions company and had them move into our office building almost a year ago. We piled into our tall-walled cubicles and clambered into our little caves and barely spoke to one another. On the same floor, but on the opposite side of the building, existed the younger and more vibrant company we acquired. They epitomized the "online start-up" mentality. Their work spaces are glorified school desks, sitting next to one another. They're grouped together with people, aligned with similar projects. They can look a few inches past their monitors and chat easily with their group members. There are open-air conference tables for people to brainstorm. They're always talking. I know when we all moved in together, our group would look over at their brightly lit work area and ask "Why?" I know deep down I wish that my group was as collaborative as the "younger crowd". Of course, to them, we look like a bunch of fuddy-duddies.
As soon as I started reading Kelly's article, "Corporate Culture, Not Technology, Drives Online Collaboration," I saw my department at my company all over it. I think that each of us in our group, myself included, feel that our position at our company is safe as long as we know more than someone else. We keep our "secrets" safe, so that only the individuals benefit, rather than sharing what we do best and benefiting the department as a whole. While we have a management which seems to preach collaboration, they don't help facilitate collaboration that well. I know that even if I tried pushing collaboration for my coworkers, it would be met with hesitation from everyone around me. I see the benefits of collaboration, but within the confines of a company who has been doing what they do well for the last 40-50 years, changing a culture will take a really long time.
It is interesting to note how change is a process, and sometimes a long one. It is definitely true that when something has been done one way for so long, it is hard for a person or group of people to change how it is accomplished. In companies, it is all the more difficult, but I wonder if there are companies that were deeply non-collarborative and over time have successfully switched to a collaborative environment without hiring many new people.
ReplyDeleteI am the Keymaster, are you the Gate Keeper? Sorry had to throw in a little Ghostbusters there after seeing your title ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing your work experience. Do you think that your coworkers will ever be able to switch into a more collaborative community? Maybe you all can start to talk to this new group in your office getting some ideas on facilitating collaboration. Break down those cubicle walls, or after taking this class maybe you can be the pioneer showing your coworkers how collaboration can be beneficial to everyone.
I agree that changing the culture would take a long time and maybe it doesn't have to change if everything is working just fine. Though if what you say is true, that "We fail to recognize how we might make our jobs easier knowing what other people are doing, who do our same exact job." Then you really could prove to be a great asset in helping your coworkers to understand how collaboration will actually benefit them and not harm.
Good luck and thanks again for sharing your story :)
Interesting post! As I was reading about your workplace environment, it made me wonder... Perhaps the reason that people are inherently protective over their ideas, is because for so long, management has been promoting their employees for just that. If we were to share our concepts, albeit for the greater good, maybe we wouldn't get the much hoped for promotion for our bright idea? Maybe this stigma should be addressed by the management before running into an all out internal collaboration?
ReplyDeleteYour post has added another dimension to my total understanding of how internal collaboration work. Ever since I read Kelly's article, I have been thinking internal collaboration only in terms of library setting. It is really surprising that even a publishing company like yours do not support internal collaboration, I too feel that the management is solely responsible for that. Or maybe they feel that internal collaboration will hinder the productivity of the employees, if the employees start sharing with each other. Also, I feel that it is not too late for the different work cultures to embrace internal collaboration, with the continuous improvement and upgraded tools of web 2.0, it will definitely be hard for organizations to resist or ignore for very long the convenience online collaboration offers. So hang in there till then!
ReplyDelete